Why did I decide to change operating system?
I’ve been thinking about moving over to linux for a long long time. There are a few features of linux that really appeal to me.
- It’s cheap. I’ve currently installed it on to a second hand laptop and it’s running with nearly no issues.
- From my limited experience so far it’s pretty lightweight. This could just be the flavour of linux I have installed (Ubuntu - 21.04), but I don’t feel like my system is bloated at all - Especially since the machine I’m runing it on isn’t the highest spec machine you can get.
- I love being part of opensource. I like the idea of software being availble to everyone and the source code is easily accessible and can be modified or enhanced by almost anyone (Although I have no plans of yet to contribute to linux).
- On a more superficial level because it is so lightweight and clutter free I feel like I can focus more development without the distraction with everything else that usually comes from a Mac or a PC.
How have I found the transistion?
So far it hasn’t been that bad. To be honest I thought it would be a bigger effort but so far it has been smooth sailing. HAving used a Mac for most of my life and that being Unix based it has made the transition so much easier. I’m realy enjoying just using the termninal as my main way of navigating the OS, although I still have a lot to learn. I can’t wait for the moment I’m just whizzing through the terminal like a pro and maybe even mastered some bash scripting to make my life even easier.
Has it all been smooth sailing?
Although my experience has been mostly positive it doesn’t mean I haven’t had any issues. Here is a list of some of my current issues:
- Currently I have no sound on my laptop and can only hear things when I’m connected to a bluetooth headset.
- I am unable to use the 20.04 LTS flavour of Ubuntu and instead I’m using 21.10 because WIFI doesn’t work on LTS (LTS stands for Long Term Support and is the version of Ubuntu that is supported until April 2025 and the version I’m using is supported until April 2023, where I would have to update again). I would prefer to use LTS because of the long term support, but I need access to WIFI. lol.
- I have some flickering issues with the screen if it’s too bright, so I use the laptop on a very low brightness.
I’m sure I will come across more issues but so far nothing is game breaking and preventing me from doing what I need to do. This is an ongoing journey and I’m only at the beginning. Stay tuned for more updates and hopefully some tutorials.
I have found a new issue. I am unable to use external monitors via USB C. I haven’t tried with a dongle and HDMI yet, but I cannot use USB C. Again this isn’t too big of a deal for me. It would be nice every now and then to connect to an external display, so I will investigate this.
UPDATE UPDATE 24/01/2022
I have solved the display issue. It was all user error and not a linux thing. I only have one thunderbolt 4 port on the laptop and the other USB C ports do not support display out. My bad, but all good now. Just need to solve the sound issue, then we are good to go.